Saturday 24 March 2012

Source of creativity

I find that some of mankind's most beautiful creations, be it art or music or writing has its inspiration in sadness.

From a personal point of view, the best poetry I ever wrote was at a time in my life when I was going through a difficult patch. Happy times rarely evoke meaningful words from my pen...I'm too busy enjoying the happy times to write anything of substance! Angst provides fodder to the hungry writer. Pain makes one introspect and search the depths within oneself and in the outside world too. People who suffer, usually isolate themselves. The solitude perhaps brings to the surface thoughts long hidden and unexpressed.

I admire people who do wonderful comedy. I wonder what their source of inspiration is. That said, some of the world's funniest people were in real life quiet, serious and sombre. Delving into their life stories, it seems they had their own share of internal strife and suffering. Could they have used comedy as a means of escaping that side of themselves? No wonder they say, comedy is a serious business.

Music is another source of creativity. Like most women, I have a special collection of songs that I resort to when I need a good cry. It's funny but it's true. The headphones go on, the tears start to flow, and words spring out from paper to pen. Then I feel better. Happy songs just want to make me dance...not write.

Maybe it's just me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment