Wednesday 7 March 2012

My brain cells tingle!

Tara came running up to me yesterday and said, "Mummy! Quick! I need to eat some cucumber. My brain cells are tingling!"

My child...asking for a green vegetable to eat? I wasn't going to waste any time in idle chit-chat or wait for another cute story. I raced into the kitchen and cut a few sticks of cucumber and watched her eat them, a bit gingerly at first, then more confidently. After Tara was done, she relaxed visibly and said her brain was now fully charged and she was ready to play some more.

All right then.

It's every mum's dream to feed fruit and veg to their children. It doesn't usually go to plan. It's taken me years of perseverance and a few sneaky tricks. While Tara could be a bit more adventurous in the veggie department, I don't think she's doing too badly either. We have conquered apples, pears, pineapples, bananas,  grapes and the odd dry fruit like raw unsalted cashew nuts, almonds and pistachios. Tara also has the odd strawberry if 'the shape is right.' Also carrots, beans, peas, cucumbers and yucky ol' sweet corn have made the grade.

My brain cells tingle a lot these days. I should take a leaf out of my little one's book and eat a few more healthy things myself. It is after all terribly important for Mums to have their brains charged at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment