Monday 9 July 2012

Parent-Teacher meeting

It was another meeting at school. This time only me, no Husband. I felt quite out of place because I had nothing much to say. I saw other mums waiting their turn with little notepads, and pieces of paper, and felt a bit odd.

I was happy with my daughter's work and her in general, what else was left to ask or say? The teacher said Tara was very good and working well above average and that was that. I thanked her and then went off the look at her school work. Shortly after, I had Tara in the car and we were going back home.

So, what is wrong with me? I love my daughter, I want her to have a good education and be happy, safe and secure in her school. What I don't want to do is be paranoid and enlist her in every possible club and class that is available, to fill every bit of spare time she has. Some people feel I am not doing enough for Tara, but she is barely five. Childhood is transient and it's not long before it is replaced by worldly worries and ambitions. I must be doing something right if my child is above average in everything, and still finds time to play and laugh with us.

I was once asked what I wanted my child to be when she grew up. I replied, "Happy and Self reliant." I stand by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment