Saturday 25 February 2012

Don't want a daughter?

I've read some disturbing statistics recently where it seems the sex ratio on our planet is slowly becoming increasingly unbalanced.

Preference for the male child has always been the norm in many cultures. The deep rooted psychology of wanting a male child to continue the blood line and family has been around forever. I don't agree with it, but that does not shock me. What shocks me is the lengths some people go to, to get rid of a girl child.

I can debate endlessly and raise a million valid points and theories to demonstrate that a girl and boy are equal. But even the best logic will not register with a warped mind.

All I can say to a person not wanting a girl child is, "I am so sorry that you are going through this lifetime, being born a human being, but not being able to appreciate the absolute treasure that a well brought up daughter is. I would hope you have no children, because you don't deserve the privilege."

I am always uncomfortable when I judge, but there are some issues in life which are black or white, and we must take a stand. Killing a baby only because of it's sex is one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment