Tuesday 14 February 2012

And its all forgotten.

How many times have to you heard that after you hold your baby in your arms for the first time, after hours of torturous labour, you forget all the pain and the agony of the experience?  Not true I say. I am planning to go back in time to approximately four and a half years ago and write if I could in technicolour, what happened on that day, rather several days before and after Tara came along. Its not pretty so do not proceed unless you can accept that its not all forgotten.

When I think back to my younger years I always feared having babies. The concept of squeezing out such a large thing from an impossibly small opening seemed mind boggling. Its also true that subsequent generations of women have repeatedly said, we all go though it, its natural, and its ALL FORGOTTEN WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR BABY IN YOUR ARMS. Not true I repeat again. You remember if you choose to remember, or forget if you so fancy. Unless of course you have a pregnancy and birth that by its very nature makes you remember it forever more.

My next favourite one after you emerge from your trauma, with a baby in your arms, NOT forgetting what happened back there is, "No two pregnancies are the same. " Yeah right ! Like I'm falling for that one.

What I can say is true, hand on heart, after possibly the worst pregnancy and birth in modern times, is that when I was in the birth process and going through everything, there was ALWAYS the feeling that no matter what I was going through, I could do it. Even when I was thinking I don't think I can carry on, I knew deep inside I could.

Inspite of it all there are still moments when I'd rather be in a delivery room pushing a baby a minute rather than deal with some of the issues I have in the last few years. So I guess it couldn't be all that bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment