Saturday 8 November 2014

Let it be

Some things in life are very personal. Taste in food for example, cannot have a right or wrong. Some people like the taste of some foods, while others hate it. That doesn't make that food yum or yuck. The same applies to combinations of foods. I see food experts get very titchy when one dish is taken with another "unsuitable" one. Excuse me! It's the eaters mouth and their taste buds that matter...nothing else. Ive seen ice creams accompany the most unlikely of foods, but it doesn't bother me so much that I wax eloquent on it till the cows come home. As long as Im not being coerced to try something I don't want to, Im cool.

Clothes and fashion. Very personal. Who am I to say what someone feels good in is or is not in good taste? Now Im not talking about extreme examples like Madonna's conical top. That iconic apparel was probably created for shock and awe...and to pierce someone through the heart maybe. Liz Hurley's safety pin dress...again..not what I'm talking about. Let's say my friend's dress.  A particular garment not very visually appealing to me for whatever reason. If my opinion is not sought at the time of purchase, and if my friend is not in grave danger, or unknowingly humiliating herself,  I can exist happily in the same space as her without voicing my opinion on the garment of her choice.

Movies. I choose to remain silent on this most times. It genuinely doesn't bother me if someone likes serious meaningful cinema while others prefer light hearted fare. Just as one has the right to be extremely analytical and passionate about their cinema, another has the right to be flippant and dismissive about it. How can one be right and the other wrong? Its what a person chooses to do with their time and money. Box office collections are debated and a movie slated for being a hit even after collecting so many millions at the box office. A few critics dismiss the millions of people who chose to watch something that isn't considered cinematic enough. I wonder...who cares as long as the end viewer is getting what they want?

Why is it so hard for people to let others be?

No comments:

Post a Comment