Thursday, 5 March 2015

The Turnaround

The doctors all suggested wait and watch for my hair situation. I don't do wait-and-watch well. I made myself a cup of tea and started thinking about what I should do. I started with the usual routine of vacuuming the entire house. There were strands of hair that fell every single day. Like fairy dust at every step I took...only not as pretty, or magical.

The postman dropped off a few bills and brochures. One was a voucher from the same salon where it all began. I picked up a paper and pen, turned the letter over, and wrote back requesting not to send me any further vouchers, and briefly explained why. I put a stamp on the envelope, walked to the post box and posted it . Walking back I felt a strange sense of purpose sweep over me. I picked up the phone and made enquiries about the exotic sounding hair oils that were suggested to me. They weren't available anywhere near here. I called up internationally to see if someone could post them to me, without success.

I didn't give up and one day had a parcel delivered to me . My sister had succeeded in finding me these elusive oils. I opened up the parcel and held the various potions and bottles hopefully. I looked up in the mirror and saw my hair nervously. I couldn't touch my hair unless I had to. The slightest touch saw strands fall away.

I turned away from the mirror, took a deep breath and poured the mixture of oils in my palms, and slowly started running my fingertips through my hair. Gradually as the realisation set in that I had nothing to lose, I applied it more generously. The sensation of the big bald patch under my fingertips was very traumatic. Yet I continued. I left the oil in my hair over night and washed it the next day with the mildest baby oil I could lay my hands on. It was no different to any other time. Hair fell...a lot.

By this time I was waiting for all of it to fall out so it didn't take long to establish this new routine of oil on followed by a hair wash. I did this non stop for two months. 

It was Christmas 2014. I had a lot to do so I had a quick shampoo and was suddenly tempted to take a peek at my head. It was a miracle. The bald patch had sprouted some hair! The hair had suddenly decided not to fall out much either..What happened? It takes at least a year for hair to re-grow if it was Alopecia. It didn't matter anymore. 

It is now March. The hairfall has stopped completely, the bald patch is invisible and I have my hair back. It clearly lacks the volume I had a few years ago, but my God its enough for me..

One thing I have to mention is a curious bumpy itch I have on my scalp for over a year now. It comes and goes, and the doctors have no clear idea what that is about. I have been observing its pattern and have come to the conclusion that it is something to do with sugar intake. Sounds weird I know..but last month when I had my monthly period and was wolfing down sweets and chocolates like a maniac, I noted a significant increase in my itchy scalp bumps. After the madness of sugar craving ended suddenly with my period, I was averse to sweets for a few weeks. During that time I don't remember an itchy scalp. Something to look into..

So Tara..Mummy is getting back on her feet again. The shouts didn't arrive for two months and we are all feeling better for it. The connection between the shouts and my health? Perhaps..but inexcusable. This no-shout new Year resolution is going well..nevermind about the other two-exercising and eating fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment