Sunday 31 July 2011

Waste not...

If there is one thing I don't like, detest even, it is perfectly good food being thrown about. Like a cake fight, or tomatoes being squashed in a seasonal festival, or milk being poured over divine deities in exotic countries. In most circumstances I try to be non judgemental of lifestyle choices and cultural traditions. But when it comes to food, I cannot pretend to be rational and reasonable.

Some parts of the world have people starving, clasping their dying children close to them, looking around with cold, hopeless eyes for a morsel. When I think about it, or even worse imagine myself clutching Tara, not knowing if my precious baby will see the next sunrise....the feeling of desperation overwhelms and horrifies me. Im a mum, so are millions of other women who watch their precious children die due to starvation. In this day and age it is morally and spiritually unacceptable.

It is nothing short of criminal to play with food. Make no mistake. Where we are born is just luck of the draw. We must not have the arrogance to believe otherwise. So the next time you or I waste food, let us try to think many times. I choose to belive that if there is a God, He/She would much rather we feed a fellow human being than accept offerings meant to curry favour with Him/Her

No comments:

Post a Comment