Wednesday 8 May 2019

Moving meditation

It's been called 'moving meditation'. After one year of learning, I understand why.

Just before the start of my left Frozen Shoulder in March or April last year, I was reaching the end of two to three years of suffering with my right shoulder and collar bone. I had seen doctors, been in MRI machines, had X-rays, finally saw a physio for 12 weeks but the shoulder and collar bone took their own time in getting better. Finally around March 2018 I felt the problem had gone. I was very weak, but nervous about starting any enthusiastic exercise programme that could injure my body again. So I researched a bit and discovered a gentle exercise called Tai Chi. The description suited my requirements. No previous experience was needed and it was suited to all ages and abilities-including the disabled who were invited to practice, seated on a chair. This sounded like a good start for me.

I signed up for a free taster, around the same time my left shoulder started feeling funny. I noticed a catching sensation during my first lesson. I was a complete beginner. I didn't know anything about Tai Chi, but it was gentle enough for me to do. I spoke to my teacher, and told her my left shoulder was behaving strangely, so she kept that in mind through our lessons. Every week the magnitude of pain and freezing in movement increased. But I stuck at it. In a way it probably kept me sane. In addition to the body movements of Tai Chi there is a great deal of memory and thinking involved to remember and repeat the slow but controlled movements. In that one hour my physical pain was deliberately downgraded in importance while my mental focus was prioritised.

At one point I continued the lesson moving only my right arm, while keeping my left shoulder and arm uselessly by my side. I didn't give up. I will give a lot of credit the gentle martial art of Tai Chi.

When I practice Tai Chi, I am a warrior and a monk. I learn the skills of the martial art, while meditating in motion. In a way I found Tai Chi because of my shoulder problems. We meet people, have life experiences, suffer losses and tragedies, have setbacks etc. Life moves in ways we never anticipate. When Frozen Shoulder entered my life, so did Tai Chi. One was an attacker , the other a shield.




No comments:

Post a Comment