Wednesday 17 July 2019

Frozen Shoulder - Progress

I think I see a glimmer on the horizon.

Over the past month or so, the pain in my arm and shoulder subsided to virtually nil! Over the past few weeks it sporadically flared up, oddly to the left, outside of the left shoulder, then switched suddenly to the right side of the left shoulder. Then I had family visiting me for 10 days during which time I was running around doing everything for them. (They are elderly, with mobility issues). I got a bit nervous when the shooting pains returned down the length of the arm and into the fore-arm. It’s the kind of pain that is deep, and you want to massage it with your thumb. (That does help, if you can do it without damaging your thumb in the process).

When the visitors left, I instinctively slowed down. The pain subsided again. It is now month four of year two. Another year and  half to go before I expect full recovery. Good progress in my opinion. I still do Tai chi and have noticed an element of flexibility and mobility. I am still guarded, but hopeful. The physiotherapist at the hospital discharged me, and I am a bit ashamed to say that I have stopped all exercises. Maybe because I’ve been tired with all the hard exercises I have done diligently, or that I'm mentally exhausted and just want to take some time off to reduce my anxiety levels before I start exercising again.

Hang in there all you Fellow Freezers! If I can survive this alone, Im sure you regular folk have some regular friends and family who are supporting you through this challenging time. If not, here’s a hug from me !

No comments:

Post a Comment