Wednesday 10 August 2011

Playground Politics

Tara had a play date today at the local playground. Well...not really a playdate. A group of mums from nursery decided to pack a picnic and meet at the playground. Tara was very happy to see her old frtiends, even asking by name for those not there.

Most of the children are around a year older than Tara, and it showed when they played. Tara waited in line for her 'turn' at the swings and climbing frames only to be shoved aside by the older ones. She was a bit crestfallen and tried to keep up.

It made me wonder as I watched. I raised Tara the old fashioned way. She has to mind her p's and q's, wait her turn, and treat others with respect. Was I doing the right thing? Would she be able to survive the world where people who shove, get to go on the swings first?

I don't know the answer, but I think I will stick to my way.... it just feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment